Pages

Life Through A Lens

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Question of a Home

Home. That word brings a picture or a smell of a certain place to the minds of most people. It is where you grew up, learned to walk, learned to ride a bike, learned to drive a car etc. There is a comforting sense of continuum in at all, a stability if you will. With all the benefits and perks of having the background that I have, the lack of the ability to call a certain place home is truly one of the drawbacks.
I grew up a bit all over the place. I learned to walk in Ghana. I learned to ride a bike in Sweden. I learned to drive in Sweden, Mocambique, and most recently Poland. That last one is still a work in progress, mind you =) Thus, there really isn't one place I could call home. One could argue the fact that I have many homes, which, of course, is true, but it is not the same as having one Home. 
In all this confusion, however, there is one place where I always feel 100% at home. That is in the company of one or two, or more, people that have a desire to praise God. Being a Christian myself, that has always been something close to my heart, and I have had the fortune of being able to praise God freely wherever I have been. Lacking a true physical home here on this lovely earth, to be able to experience that feeling of belonging is something quite wonderful. 
In the end, not having a true home would be a fair price to pay for getting to experience all the things one goes through as a TCK, and it is one I would be willing to pay. Happily, as a Christian, I believe that I can get to experience a bit of the feeling of being home, of having some place to belong.  That, in my own humble opinion, is something to be very thankful for, and I truly am.


No comments:

Post a Comment