Pages

Life Through A Lens

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Nosebleeds and Electrocution

Nosebleeds... for the 20 years of life that I have enjoyed, they have been my steady companion. Unlike most people, who actually need to be hit on the nose to get a nosebleed, all I have to do is think hard enough and the floodgates open. It can be dry weather, just waking up, stress, overexertion etc. my nose will tell me I need to chill by opening the tap and starting to release my blood. The severity varies each time, as do the instances. One month I might be totally free, another month I'll have numerous nosebleeds. It has become a part of my life though, I see it more as a minor nuisance than something severe.
This past week I had one of those nosebleed frenzy weeks. In fact, when I came home from work yesterday, and cranked up Rattle by Bingo Players, I got a nosebleed from the sheer amount of bass that was pumping through my subwoofer. I love my sound system!
However, as I was lifting the latch of the wheels on one of the hospital beds, my nose started bleeding again. The doctor nearby told me it was not very healthy that I was getting so many nosebleeds from such trivial things, so she booked me an appointment with the ENT. (Ear-Nose-Throat Doctor, not Treebeard, even if that would have been way cooler.)
The ENT looked into my nose with one of those tools they use, and it took him about 1.57 seconds to confirm, "This is not good..." Apparently I have a congenital disorder which leads to dilated blood vessels in my Kiesselbach's plexus. Which in other words means that since birth, the small arteries in my nose have been exposed, and have had thinner walls due to their larger size. No wonder then that my nose is synonymous with the Niagara Falls.
Obviously, this problem had to be fixed. This is where it gets gory. First I was given an anesthetic spray up my nose, which was so sharp and stinging, very much like pepper actually, that any effort of keeping my tears back was utterly pointless. Anybody who has ever accidentally got piri-piri up the nose will know exactly what I am talking about. This was only the very beginning though. Then the doctor pulled out what can be best described as an electric rod, with which he was to cauterize (close, basically) my blood vessels with. I cannot even begin to describe the pain which followed, I swear that anesthesia had no effect, whatsoever. Each zap, nay, each freakin' Thunder of Mjölnir that rod delivered, was like a million siafu each clamping their  powerful jaws on the floor of my nasal septum. Time and time again. When it was finally done, the doctor begrudgingly told me that he wasn't able to get all the arteries in one go, I would have to return for more. I just gave a blank stare as an answer. The fun wasn't over yet! He propped up my now abused nostril with a bandage roll and told me to come back later. As if people weren't staring before, now I had a tampon up my nose to attract further viewers. Marvelous...
Seeking refuge in the Russian Toilet after the  Electrocution 
After two hours, when my bandage was so saturated with blood that it was starting to drip, I made my way up to the ENT ward for another dose of death. This time, either the anesthesia worked better, or my nerves had just had enough and were slowly abandoning me, because I didn't feel as much pain. That said, it was very far from pleasant, very, very far. About as far as the gap between Arsenal and Sp*rs #mindthegap. Anyway, I got it done, and the doctor felt he had got all my little bleeders. I go back tomorrow for a checkup. Oh, and I no longer have to wear that thing in my nose (hurray!).
 I might indeed miss my random nosebleeds, I think over time I have developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome for them. However, it will be nice not having to fear for my life each time I have to blow my nose. So is this the end of me and my life long nasal companion? 

Who Nose!! 


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha,good to have had it done, finally. Hope you will recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so scary! but I'm happy you are ok! :)

    ReplyDelete