Pages

Life Through A Lens

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Off to the Butchery

I have now spent 3 weeks at the Nephrology ward at the provincial hospital of Olsztyn, doing my summer practice. It has been very interesting, and I have learnt many things, and have gotten to see a lot.
The first year summer practicals whole focus is on the job of a nurse. Even though I am studying to be a doctor, it is important to learn the basics of nursing as well. At the hospital, the nurses thought me how to give injections, including insulin and heparin. I also got to learn how to prepare various IV's that are given to the patients, and of course administer them as well. Maybe most interestingly, I have been able to learn how to draw blood. It was a bit intimidating at first, having to stick someone with a needle is never fun (well, in most cases anyway) and if the patients are scared that only makes it worse. However, after a couple of tries I got the hang of it, and I have been drawing lots of blood samples since. Aside from this, I have also got to observe loads of procedures, and have been taught the basics of patient care. All in all, a good three weeks.
Now, for my final week of summer practicals, I will be at the Surgery ward. I am really looking forward to it, and expecting to see some interesting surgeries. Surgeons do have a reputation of being a bit emotionally void, but I don't think that will be a problem. In fact, as I was out on one of my driving lessons, and I was conversing with the instructor about this topic, he highlighted this fact. He said that many surgeons after grueling surgeries usually resort to vodka as a means to manage the feelings. Sounds both primitive and absolutely intense. I will report back if the butchers, as the driving instructor liked to call the surgeons, seem a bit hung over on Monday.

The cart with all the nurse's equipment. My steady companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment