Pages

Life Through A Lens

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Return to The Olsztyn

My trip back to Olsztyn after vacation in Sweden was annoyingly eventful if anything. Flight and the like went fine, managed to squeeze my bloated luggage along, even though it was borderline overweight. However, the bus taking me from Gdansk to Olsztyn broke down about an hour outside Gdansk, leaving us all stranded in the Polish wilderness for 2 very long hours. Thankfully a backup bus did arrive, and to make up for the time lost the driver engaged Ludicrous Speed (Spaceballs anyone??) and we made it back in one piece, albeit a bit shaken and tired.
Traffic is still slow in Olsztyn, with the numerous roadworks everywhere. I know opinion is divided on the subject, but as far as I am concerned, everyone I've seen seems to be working hard to get it done quickly. However, I don't expect it to be done anytime soon. As a result, I went and bought myself a bike. Terrific purchase if I may say so myself, been using it a lot already. Olsztyn has got some pretty good bike lanes, so it's not a bad investment. Although, I'll be back to using the buses come winter.
Next week I'm starting my summer practicals, which I am looking forward to. Many of my colleagues have already done them, and I've mostly heard positive feedback, so I'm excited. Alongside my summer practicals I will also be taking my driving license (finally). This will be third country in which I learn how to drive, I started out with some lessons in Sweden, then I attended driving school in Mozambique, and now hopefully I'll get it all done in Poland. Thankfully the driving instructor knows some English, so I won't have to resort to my limited Polish =) Expect to hear lots about both these new adventures in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment