Pages

Life Through A Lens

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Surgeries and Other Invasive Methods

When I lived in Kijabe, I had the opportunity to go and witness many kinds of surgeries. However, due to a combined lack of time and actual connection to any of the cases, I started medical school without ever actually witnessing a surgery. Thus, when one of the patients where I do my summer practicals needed a surgery to implant a permanent catheter, I was very happy to observe. I initially thought I would be watching from a separate room, looking down at the surgeon and patient from a little window perhaps. I blame Grey's Anatomy for this hasty presumption. I actually got to get all dressed up in green scrubs, and witness the surgery first hand, standing right next to the surgeon and his assistant. To say it felt incredibly legit would be an understatement.
Now this was actually a very simple procedure, and didn't even involve much cutting and blood, and it was all over in a little more than half an hour. So even though I didn't witness a radical hysterectomy or something absolutely crazy, I was still awed by my first surgical experience. Yes, let's call it that.
The following day, which would be today in fact, I got to observe when the doctors performed a kidney biopsy. The doctor, knowing my Swedish roots, was keen to point out that the equipment used was of Swedish origin and invention. A moment of personal hubris ensued as I watched the BARD Biopsy Gun (which is manufactured in Uppsala) pierce through the patients back and into the kidney, which was displayed for all to see via Ultrasound. Then "BANG" went the needle gun, taking a part of the patient's kidney, before being swiftly and skillfully withdrawn. All very quick. However, recovery time is about a day, as the anesthetic wears off and the patient's body starts to realize someone stole  part of their kidney, and makes sure the brain is aware of this hideous crime. 
Until next time folks, and remember, whenever you are walking through a dark alley, protect your kidneys! Organ robbers lurking everywhere, you have been warned, Ha!

3 comments:

  1. I'm your fan already!!so cool man!!I can't wait next episode;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it! There will be more for sure.

      Delete
  2. You can know all about surgeries and other invasive methods. Good post

    ReplyDelete